Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Scenes From an Italian Restaurant

I've been in Italy for almost two weeks now, so I concluded it was time to write a little about the food. Let's begin with an overall statement: The food is DELICIOUS! I can't go into everything I've eaten, because not only would that be embarrassing, but also boring; however, I will talk about my main highlight as far as food goes.

The program I'm with scheduled for us all to take a cooking class from professional cooks. It was INCREDIBLE! Now, I know you're all thinking, "wait a minute, Molly? Cooking? That doesn't add up". Let me just tell you, I am going to be one master chef when I return to the states. We still have one more cooking class scheduled, as well. At the class we made ravioli stuffed with spinach and ricotta cheese (completely from scratch), the most delicious eggplant, zucchini, potato, and cheese appetizer, and panna cotta for dessert. Everything was very simple to make, and extremely delicious. Our teacher was a very young, hilarious guy who had his nose pierced so we bonded instantly. He is also studying to translate Italian and French so I got to practice a little of both, which was very fun.  After we made the food we all had a giant feast and ate EVERYTHING. I also may have finished a few people's desserts. I am so excited to recreate our dishes at home.

Side-note: During the course of my time here I have learned that I LOVE eggplant.  I never really tried it before, it always kind of scared me.  But now, I eat eggplant ALL THE TIME.  Honestly, it might even be rivaling the bell pepper for the spot of my favorite vegetable.

"A bottle of red, a bottle of white. It all depends upon your appetite. I'll meet you any time you want in our Italian restaurant." Billy Joel

No comments:

Post a Comment